Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Wednesday, 03.20.13

Jesus said to those Jews who believed in him,
“If you remain in my word, you will truly be my disciples,
and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
- JN 8:31-42


Interestingly enough, I immediately thought of Mumford and Sons when I read today's gospel. I feel called to this idea of being liberated by truth, but simultaneously the scholar in me questions if there is such a thing as truth in a world steeped in bias and subjectivity. I love this idea that God alone knows the truth because He is the only one outside of our reality and infused in every part of our reality.

Perhaps that is a philosophic start, but the second thing that struck me about this verse is that Jesus is talking to the Jews who already believe in Him. There seems to be a call not only to read "[his] word" but to know "[his] word." I am envisioning a resolute scholar poring over scripture again and again and again, relentlessly seeking the "truth." Then I visualize Mother Teresa living the scripture to the extent that she finds the truth of Christ in the eyes and words and actions of people. Isn't that true liberation through the Holy Spirit? Perhaps God will bless me with even glimmers of the truth in the midst of struggles to transcend my weaknesses and prejudices and selfishness.

Lord, help me to break through my stubbornness to be open to Your truth and to have the wisdom to act on Your truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment