Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Tuesday, 03.19.13

The most amazing thing happened today: I began to feel hopeful about next year. I wasn't super confident about today's lesson, but all of a sudden, I could think about ten different ways that my lesson was much stronger than it would have been at the beginning of the year. I saw progress in my planning and in my teaching; it was magically reflected in my students being very on-track today. For the first time in... a long time, perhaps even ever, I did not need to have one-on-one behavior conversations because overall everyone was for the most part meeting expectations in behavior and participation. I saw more hands and heard more voices, and as a result, I felt inspired.

Does this mean I suddenly LOVE teaching? that I am excited about my commitment to teach next year? No, this is still a very difficult career that I have not mastered. I just felt, somehow, that next year will be better than my darker months this year. I feel more comfortable in my teacher skin, and I think (hope) that will show in my classes.

In today's gospel, Joseph nobly and humbly accepts the challenge that God provides him with, and in the Georgetown Lenten reflection, a brilliant point is made that we, like Joseph, will fade into anonymity. Joseph briefly shines and then fades from the gospels, to the extent that we question how he spent the rest of his life. I reflected today that in many ways, I will probably be a brief phase in my students' lives so that years from now they might not even be able to describe me beyond saying, "Ya, she was my...English teacher I think, sometime in high school." It's amazing to think that as a teacher, my goal is always to increase my students' abilities and leadership and independence, so that they can think and work independently of the teacher. I hope that I can be humble like Joseph and find strength through God to do my very best for those I serve.

I'll conclude with the wonderful prayer from today's Georgetown Lenten reflection:

Loving and gracious God, source of gifts untold, thank You for all Your blessings. By the example of St. Joseph, may we learn the joys of serving You without expectation of praise or notice, laboring in shadows for righteousness. We long for this with humble hearts, and in Your name we pray, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment