Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Wednesday, 03.13.13

“I cannot do anything on my own;
I judge as I hear, and my judgment is just,
because I do not seek my own will
but the will of the one who sent me.”
- JN 5:17-30

Today's gospel is a beautiful lesson in humility. Oddly enough, it fits really well with one of my favorite tv shows I caught up with today- Once Upon a Time. In the show, the characters struggle simultaneously with the sins of their parents and with their own pride, which, of course, is something we all struggle with. The images from today's readings and the show flash through my mind: bowing down before others, freeing prisoners, journeying afar, being shown mercy, giving into another's will, realizing that grace is a choice, finding the liberation of humility. It's all there, concise and true, unyielding in its wisdom.

Humility has been my lifelong struggle and so it continues to be. I want to praise God with all that I am and yet I too often give into what I want to do. I pray, Lord, that You will make me Your own and make my will submissive to Yours; only then will I be free. Teach me the lesson that Christ so beautifully learned and taught, that goodness stems from You and Your people are only powerful when they act under Your will.

No comments:

Post a Comment