Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Wednesday, 03.06.13

“However, take care and be earnestly on your guard
not to forget the things which your own eyes have seen,
nor let them slip from your memory as long as you live,
but teach them to your children and to your children’s children.”
DT 4:5-9


Today's readings made me consider the shifting social mores of our time; by the time my "children" and my "children's children" arrive, our world will be a radically different place than the Victorian era I so love to study, my grandmother's world, my mother's world, and the world of my childhood.

Statistics abound that prove we are shifting towards a ME-centred society and that social ills are, if anything, rising. As the institution of marriage degenerates into common divorce and torn apart families, as petty crimes becomes norms, as young people have the choice to enter casual flings, take casual drugs, and casually move far from home, we as a society are forced to re-centre ourselves in shifting times and re-prioritize what matters most to us. We must examine God's laws, as Jesus did, and decide what our response to pressing topical issues and personal tragedies will be; we must decide what it means to interpret a living, breathing text in the face of more and more adversity. In other words, I must decide what it means to be Christian when I am pulled in a variety of directions, and at the heart of that need, I must follow my conscience and above all else, my God.

Guide my heart in tumultuous times and dampen my desire to do as I wish; instead, magnetize my core values to follow Your true North, towards a godly life and a humble path. Strengthen my faith and allow me to turn inwards in the face of new challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment