Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Tuesday, 03.05.13

I must admit that today's gospel disturbs me with its ominous ending. God transcends our economic understandings of equality, fairness, and justice; then He exacts justice on someone who forsook his mercy to hurt another. It's always hard for me to meld God's finality in the gospel in terms of offering numerous chances and unfathomable forgiveness before finally, inevitably, casting judgment. His grace is never-ending--until, it seems, the parable must end with the clear consequence depicted.

Perhaps I am over-thinking this. Clearly, we have grown up with an understanding that there is a heaven and a hell, a balance between opportunities to convert and change and then the end of life when a decision must be reached--will we follow God and His ways or not? Yet some part of me sees God in such a positive, awe-inspiring light that it is difficult to imagine and accept His holy justice and firm hand. As a teacher, never have I so clearly understood the need for clearly communicated consequences, and yet I find peace in knowing that nothing I do will or could ever push God away from me. He will not leave nor shall he give up on me, us, anyone--until one of us dies without repenting. Do you see what I mean? It's difficult to synthesize even whilst the justice is clear.

All I know is that God has forged a way that enables Him to be with us in flesh and temptation, weakness and degradation, so always, Lord, shape me so that I may ask:

with contrite heart and humble spirit
let us be received
DN 3:25, 34-43

No comments:

Post a Comment