Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Wednesday, 02.20.13

"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland." Isaiah 43: 18-19

Today's readings have always been a little difficult for me to relate to and really embrace. I find it difficult to embrace a vengeful God, even as He demonstrates His grace and mercy through Jonah. It helps me to consider how He must have known all along how the Ninevites would respond to the threat of holy justice. Plus now, more than ever before, I can understand the need for retribution to cause reformation.

While today's readings did not inspire me as much as I had hoped, a friend posted the quote from Isaiah above that really caught my attention and resonated with me. Despite myself, I dread returning to work Monday, and I love this scripture because it gives me much needed hope. I need to focus on the idea that every week can be an improvement for me as I continue to grow and develop. I tense up as I think about the long stretch until Spring break, and I grimace as I consider the start of another year of teaching. This is rigorous work, and I have focused this week on asking God to renew my purpose and guide my ways. Now I ask Him to engender new hope in me. I need to hope and believe that good days are coming, in and out of school.

Break is half-over. Help me to treat each of the last few days as though they are the first.

No comments:

Post a Comment