Friday, October 1, 2010

Welcome to Europe

I’ve missed blogging so much. It seems like I’ve thought a hundred times “It would be so great to blog about this…” After traveling around Europe for two weeks with my mom, I am here at Oxford, moved into my dorm. It has been quite a hassle to figure out how to get internet access, but hopefully I will have internet in my dorm room next week. It’s surprising what a luxury getting on Facebook and checking my email is after traveling. Sometimes I think God provides us with breaks from what we take for granted precisely so that we stop taking it for granted.

I don’t really know where to start to bridge the gap between the last time I wrote and now. International flights suck. Heathrow airport immediately made me feel like I was in Europe with its clean, minimal, modern lines (reminiscent of IKEA, I think). Instead of bathroom or restroom, the Brits refer to the loo as the “toilet,” which seems a bit crass. It made me laugh when I saw the sign for “baggage reclaim”; the English are nothing if not proper with the use of their language. After all, one already possesses one’s luggage—there is no need to claim it (as we silly Americans have shortened it to), simply to reclaim it. Nonetheless, I don’t feel like I’m in Europe yet. I don’t know when it will finally hit me—maybe never? Maybe when I’m no longer studying in Europe?

Mom and I took a bus to Oxford to drop off my luggage in my dorm room, and my first brief glimpses of Oxford were breath-taking. I still haven’t explored too much, and I can’t wait to look around all the different colleges. We then took a train up to Glasgow for four days, where I enjoyed my first fish and chips (delicious), my first Guinness (gross), took my first taxi ride in one of those roomy, fancy British cabs, went on a tour of the Highlands, visited Edinburgh, and enjoyed our “local” pub.

It was weird how everyone driving from the right side of the car on the left side of the road didn’t faze me too much, nor did being legally able to drink or even using a different currency. Even the beautiful accents aren’t standing out as much anymore. The weather has been colder than home but with several sunny days thrown in, so that transition hasn’t been too difficult. In all the hotels I’ve been to in the UK thus far, the Brits typically provide a tea kettle, trouser press, and heated towel rack in the room, which I found amusing. When traveling, trash cans (aka “rubbish” or “litter” bins) were very difficult to find, and in each of our hotel rooms, they had the same miniature trash can in the bathrooms. Surprisingly, however, with the few trash cans, I have seen zero litter. It seems to be taken very seriously here that people keep their roads and public buildings clean, and I think some public employees have the task of cleaning up the streets.

One other thing I have noticed is an extreme awareness of fire safety. The numerous fire extinguishers and fire blankets in buildings are paired with thorough fire exits and pathways in most buildings I’ve been in. Several times I have been scared that I would set off some alarm when I opened a door. There are signs posted everywhere that says “CCTV is monitoring this building/the speed” in public areas and on highways with a picture of a video camera; it feels like Big Brother is watching my every move sometimes.

Throughout our travel, my homesickness seemed to manifest itself in an intense craving for McDonald’s. That seems especially odd since I don’t eat McDonald’s too often at home, but I guess it makes sense. I wish I could have a homesick craving for something healthier. Oh, well. I really do enjoy shopping at the Tescos here though; they’re good quality and comparatively have pretty good prices. I’m excited to cook for myself, although I don’t think I’ll get too adventurous.

The trains in the UK really are super convenient and pretty comfortable overall. Also, they provide a beautiful opportunity to soak in the countryside. Between the fields covered in fluffy sheep and the clouds which seem to touch the earth, I love the English and Scottish countryside. The Highlands, Loch Ness, and Loch Lomond were….awe-inspiring. Stunning. I don’t know how it is possible to look at them and not know that God is our heavenly Father. I will say the Highlands were taller than I thought they would be, which sounds stupid. But it’s true. They towered majestically on either side of the road we were on, making me feel small, human, insignificant.

Looking back, I do think my time in Scotland was my favorite portion of our trip. After Glasgow, we returned to just outside of London to fly to Munich for Oktober Fest. To be perfectly honest, I was disappointed. Munich felt bleak and cold, and the language barrier proved to be a barrier. I shouldn’t have been so surprised.

Despite several attempts, we couldn’t get seats in a beer tent. The lederhosen were awesome, the food was delicious, the atmosphere was fun. There were several amusement park rides similar to those in America—but on crack. For example, there was a circle of dangling swings people sat in (like we have back home), but it rose up hundreds of feet in the air. Yikes. I spoke with several other Americans who had a fabulous time, but my mom and I were not too impressed. Our trundle beds in our authentic German hotel may have had something to do with that too.

Next we flew back to London and took a train to Liverpool. Mom and I went shopping there, which seems a bit odd I suppose. We had a great time though, and walked down to the dock as well. We stayed in an apartment that felt very luxurious and roomy, like a little slice of home away from home. When we went to the pubs Friday night, I was surprised to find that there were so many senior citizens out and that karaoke was so popular. Everywhere.

The next day we flew to our final destination: Dublin. I reunited with one of my best friends for the weekend, which was delightful!!! We went to Malahide to see the coast (and got a bit lost, walking around for hours), took a tour around the city, walked around Trinity and Grafton street, and went on a musical pub crawl. My mom had been on one previously and loved it, so the three of us got tickets to go. Usually, a few musicians take a group of people to a few different pubs, to discuss Irish musical culture and play traditional music in a warm, acoustic setting. One of our musicians seemed trashed, and the other dominated most of the time with his stories, jokes, and ego. When they actually performed a few songs, they were very talented. It irked me a bit that the more talkative musician kept bashing touristy Dublin and Americans; I know tourists can be quite annoying, but they also generate a great deal of revenue for Dublin. Many of us come with respect, wanting to learn of a different culture, meet people, enjoy ourselves. Nonetheless, we had an excellent time.

Mom dropped me back off in Oxford and left a few days ago. I think it’s finally starting to hit me that I’m staying, but even then it hasn’t truly sunk in. I’ve organized my room and decorated a bit, bought groceries, done laundry, and have been reading for school. Orientation starts tomorrow, and I can’t wait to meet other students. I’m feeling nervous again with all this anticipation and a slight bit of homesickness for both Kansas and Georgetown already.

This is a SUPER long post; I apologize for the length. I’ll write again soon with more about Oxford itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment