Wednesday, October 20, 2010

An Eventful Week at Oxford

I have had a rather eventful week, to say the least. I turned in my first essay, which went better than expected (and I’ve written my next one, which is due tomorrow in my other tutorial). I’ve attended several lectures, including one over Victorian Gothic literature and another over Jane Austen today. Lectures at Oxford are essentially a tutor reading something they have prepared ahead of time over their research interests, as opposed to the more casual, going off of notes style in the US. All lectures are optional as well, and students just go to whatever they are interested in learning about or what they feel would supplement their tutorials well.

I went ahead and bought a bike which was a bit pricey with all the necessary accessories: a helmet, lights, mud guards, lock, and basket. My bike is gold (perhaps one may even call her a bit masculine) with a cute wicker basket on front. Admittedly, the first ride back to my dorm was terrifying…the whole 1/8 of a mile. I’ve ridden three or four times since then into the city centre and am starting to feel more comfortable. Riding across town goes so much faster, especially since Oxford is very much designed in a bicycle-friendly way. And with the cold weather (it feels very much like winter already, in October!!!), the quick trip makes my life a lot easier. Today while I was riding several buses passed me, I made several right turns (which is quite tricky for a new biker in England, because one must stick out the arm, merge in front of cars, and then wait for an opening to turn), and made it home alive. One car decided to pass me by swerving into the bike lane (which is quite narrow, a bike barely fits in it) while I was waiting to turn right. Overall, though, I’m beginning to get the hang of this bike thing.

Surprisingly it has rained only four or five times since I’ve been here. I was shocked. After asking some of the Brits about it, I heard that it has been a dry summer for them, so perhaps that explains it. Or maybe God is just providing me with an easier transition to life at Oxford and decided to throw just the cold at me first before exposing me to the wet cold. Yikes.

Sunday I went to mass at Christ Church, which was beautiful and very similar to Evensong at Magdalen College. Between the choir and the architecture I was in heaven. That was also my first Anglican mass, which was incredibly similar to the Catholic mass structurally. I intend to go to the Catholic chaplaincy for my next mass this weekend.

On Monday morning I went to C.S. Lewis’ house for a tour, which my tutor was just happening to give. His house is small, cute, English looking. When Lewis bought the property, it was secluded and beautiful, but since then lots of modern houses have popped up around his property. There is a little C.S. Lewis Nature Reserve with his pond that he used to swim in that I visited too. I feel a bit like his stalker between taking a tutorial about him, going to the pub he frequented, meeting his friend, going to his house, visiting the college he taught at. I read that he first lived in a house on the street where my college is as well. All of it has made for good inspiration when I have to write essays over him, I suppose.

I’ve been trying to get involved at Oxford too. Monday night I went to Bridge Club (and received several “hahahaha, are you 75?” jokes). It was awesome though; there were about 40 people there and we paired up and rotated around to different tables. Everyone was very friendly and patient with me, since I’ve only played a few times before. I think I’ll go play pretty regularly. Yesterday I went to the Oxford Cricket training for the girls’ team, which was interesting. I am completely not athletic, uncoordinated, and am a huge klutz. Half the team were seasoned players and the other half were complete beginners like myself. I still don’t quite understand the rules, but we did different field drills (pick up the ball and throw it to the pitcher—if that’s what it’s called?) and I learned how to bat…sort of. The swinging motion is so unnatural, I missed probably 90% of the balls. Batting in cricket feels like a combination of golf, tennis, and softball to me. We practiced with tennis balls (I was hit several times), but I suspect they use a hard ball in the actual game—which terrifies me. I’m trying to decide if I shall go back next week; I’m a big chicken. A big uncoordinated chicken. Training is once a week until third term, when there are twice weekly practices and matches. From what I have gathered there are not try-outs…We’ll see, I suppose, if I decide to stick with it.

Finally, tonight I went to my first formal dinner at the dining hall at Mansfield. Everyone dresses up a bit, no jeans allowed, and we sit at the regular tables and are served three courses. At Oxford, students are supposed to wear their formal gowns to dinner, which sort of look like academic gowns in the States. No one really wore them tonight, so I suppose they don’t wear them too often at Mansfield. Tonight was a Mexican charity dinner, and I’m thinking you will laugh when I describe the menu for you. I had heard the English version of Mexican food is atrocious. That was somewhat true, but mostly their efforts are half-hearted and misguided. I was praying for some salsa and guacamole to be involved. First, we had half a baked potato with a spoonful of chili and sour cream on top, with some homemade fried tortilla strips. Next, we had chicken breasts, rice, and potato wedges. For dessert, we had a small tortilla with apple pie filling and cream. I think most of the Mexican in the Mexican charity dinner consisted of sombreros hanging from the chandeliers.

Overall, I love the people I have met, the beauty of Oxford, the tutorial system, the activities I’ve tried, and my new life here overall. Admittedly I would love some American food and American weather (and of course to see my friends and family!), but I can’t complain. I really can’t. God has provided me with an awesome opportunity, and I am going to do my best to enjoy it to the fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment